- Star with a "Low & Controlled" position
- More on the "Balls of your feet"
- Feet are shoulder width apart, knees in front of toes, arms out in front
- Keep your head on "1 plane" while moving for ball
- This ready should allow you to move for any ball!!
The 3 R's
- READY - Whenever the ball is in play- you need to be in a Ready Position
- READ - Read where the ball is going
- REACT - Adjust to the ball and make the proper play
- The most essential skill in volleyball. You need to take a serve or a 3rd contacted ball and control it with your forearms. Passing is all about controlling the ball to the target or setter. Great Passing is essential to winning matches. Great passing opens up all of our offensive options.
- SERVING (Floater & Jump)
- In this serve we want the ball to dance or float along making it hard to pass. This ball does not rotate though the air like the topspin or jump serve. This ball should not break the air but the air should move the ball in an unpredictable manner. The passer cannot read this balls flight pattern as easily as a jump or spinning serve.
- A controlled skill in which you are contacting the ball about your head with open hands. You are trying to control the ball and deliver it to a very specific spot on the court. Both of your hands should move together like a mirror image. Use your soft finger pads to contact and control the ball. Everyone need to know how to set-not just the specific setters. We need to set the 2nd contacts.
- ATTACKING (Spike)
- An aggressive overhand hit or attack on the ball. Spiking is the most through skill in volleyball and requires an intense motion and attitude. Proper timing with your approach and armswing is essential to being successful. Generate as much power as you can- it is you against 6 people.
- This is our first line of defense. Watch the hitters! Timing the hitters armswing and penetrating the net's plane is essential to effective blocking. Control your feet and arms and don't let that ball cross the net. You need to be an intimidating blocker and get your hands on balls.
- Backrow defense is our 2nd line of defense. We need to dig balls to keep the rally alive. We need to get down and get dirty with the floor. It is easiest to star deep in the court and move forward as you read the play. Remember "DIGS ARE KILLS!" Be intense and digs some balls!
USE EVERY OPPORTUNITY IN THE GYM TO GET BETTER!
EXPERIENCE WILL PRODUCE RESULTS!